A simplex repeater records incoming transmissions and retransmits them on the same frequency.
This has the effect of doubling the time required to transmit a message, but while a traditional
repeater typically costs thousands of dollars and might be semi-portable at best, a simplex repeater
can be set up with a single handheld radio and operated from batteries. This makes it perfect
for disaster response, home or campground use, and any place where radio range needs to
be extended but the cost and complexity of a traditional repeater can’t be justified.
Additionally, the unique ‘say again’ repeat-on-demand feature of the ADS-SR1 allows it to be operated
in silent mode, repeating transmissions only when requested. This can be used to repeat a
missed transmission or to check for missed calls, even hours or days after the last transmission
was heard by the repeater.
The ADS-SR1’s voice mail function operates like a telephone answering machine, allowing users
to record messages for later retrieval. Up to 20 incoming messages can be recorded, and a separate
voice mail access code lets multiple users retrieve messages without having to share the repeater’s
regular security code.
Up to 10 voice announcements can be stored in the ADS-SR1’s non-volatile memory. Each message
can be set to transmit at a specified interval, and a time offset setting allows beacons to be
staggered or rotated. Intervals can be from a few seconds up to twelve hours.
One message can also be configured to play in response to an incoming transmission. This can be
used for repeater identification, or to provide instructions on using the repeater or voice mail. A
separate inhibit timer stops the message from playing again for a specified time interval.
- 218 seconds total recording time (optional upgrade to 867 seconds)
- 19.2 kHz sample rate for excellent voice clarity and SSTV compatibility
- Programmable maximum message length setting
- Provides automated radio check capability
- 20-year data retention with no power
- Optional Morse code or voice identification
- DTMF remote control for all functions
- Operates from two AA batteries or external 4-28 V DC supply
- ‘Say again’ function repeats last received transmission on command
- Selectable courtesy tones
- Audio output adjustable in hardware and by remote command
- PTT modes for handheld and mobile radios
- Upgradeable software for future enhancements
- Programmable security code with auto-lock feature
- Unit remains controllable even with stuck receiver squelch
- 1 year warranty on complete unit, 5 years on flash memory
Connecting a Radio
Pre-made cables are also available to connect the ADS-SR1 to many different hand held radios.