SDRplay Limited is pleased to announce the launch of a new Software Defined Radio product - the RSP1A.
The SDRplay RSP1A is a major upgrade to the popular RSP1 and is a powerful wideband full featured 14-bit SDR which covers the RF spectrum from 1 kHz to 2 GHz.
Due to its exceptional combination of performance and price, the RSP1 has proved to be a very popular choice as an “entry level” SDR receiver. Since launching the RSP1, we have learned a great deal about what people are looking for in SDR receivers, and where possible, we have incorporated these improvements and new features into the RSP1A.
The RSP1A therefore delivers a significant number of additional features which result in benefits to amateur radio enthusiasts as well as significant benefits for the scientific, educational and industrial SDR community.
Here are the main additional features of the RSP1A compared to the original RSP1:
- ADC resolution increased to 14-bit native for sample rates below 6 MHz, increasing to 16 bits with decimation.
- Enhanced RF pre-selection (greater filter selectivity plus 4 additional sub-bands compared to the original RSP1) for reduced levels of spurious responses
- Improved LNA architecture with variable gain. The RSP1 had just a single gain step.
- Improved intermodulation performance
- Performance extended to cover 1 kHz to 2 GHz with a single antenna port.
- Bias-T facility
- Improved frequency stability incorporating a 0.5ppm TCXO (software trimmable to 0.01 ppm)
- Selectable broadcast AM/FM/DAB notch filters
- RF shielding within the robust plastic casing
When used together SDRplay’s own SDRuno Windows software, the RSP1A becomes a high performance SDR platform. The benefits of using the RSP1A with SDRuno include:
- Highly integrated native support for the RSP1A
- Calibrated RF Power Meter with more than 100 dB of usable range
- Calibrated S-Meter including support for IARU S-Meter Standard
- The ability to save power (dBm) and SNR (dB) measurements over time, to a CSV file for future analysis
- The IQ output wav files can be accessed for 3rd party applications
SDRplay has also worked with developers of the popular HDSDR, SDR-Console and Cubic SDR software packages to ensure compatibility. As with the RSP1, SDRplay provides multiplatform driver and API support which includes Windows, Linux, Mac, Android and Raspberry Pi 3. There is even a downloadable SD card image available for Raspberry Pi3 which includes Cubic SDR.
Radio Spectrum Processor 1A 14 bit SDR
The SDRplay RSP1A is a major upgrade to the popular RSP1—it is a powerful wideband full featured 14 bit SDR which covers the RF spectrum from 1 kHz to 2 GHz. All it needs is a PC and an antenna to provide excellent communications receiver functionality. Combined with the power of readily available SDR receiver software (including ‘SDRuno’ supplied by SDRplay) you can monitor up to 10 MHz of spectrum at a time. Documented API allows developers to create new demodulators or applications around the platform.
Want to Run Your SDRplay on a Raspberry Pi as apposed to a PC or MAC?
Download The Exciting and Newly Updated Raspberry Pi3 Image: Click Here!
- Covers all frequencies from 1 kHz through LF, MW, HF, VHF, UHF and L-band
- Excellent dynamic range for challenging reception conditions
- Low levels of spurious responses
- Works with all the popular Windows SDR software (including HDSDR, SDR Console, Cubic SDR and SDRuno)
- Works with CubicSDR multi-platform SDR software
- ExtIO based plugin available
- Software upgradeable for future standards
- Strong and growing software support network
- API provided to allow demodulator or application development
- Multiplatform driver and API support including Windows, Linux, Mac, Android and Raspberry Pi 2/3
- Up to 16 individual receivers in any 10 MHz slice of spectrum using SDRuno
- Calibrated S meter and power measurements with SDRuno
- Ideal for monitoring of ISM/ IoT/ Telemetry bands <2 GHz
- Ideal for portable operation
- Continuous coverage from 1 kHz to 2 GHz
- Up to 10 MHz visible bandwidth
- Powers over the USB cable with a simple type B socket
- 14-bit ADC silicon technology (not another 8 bit dongle!)
- 11 high-selectivity, built in front-end preselection filters
- Software selectable AM/FM and DAB broadcast band notch filters
- Software selectable multi-level Low Noise Preamplifier
- Bias -T power supply for powering antenna-mounted LNA
- RF shielding layer inside case
- SDRuno—World Class Windows SDR software
- Documented API for new apps development
- Single SMA antenna socket covering entire frequency range
- Weight 110g
- Size: 95 mm x 80 mm x 30 mm
- Low Current: 120 – 175 mA (excl bias T)
- Single 50 Ohm RF connector (SMA)
- USB 2.0 (high speed) type B socket
- Continuous coverage 1 kHz – 2 GHz
- Frequency Tolerance: 0.5 ppm (max)
- Sample frequency 2 – 10.66 MSPS
- 14 bit native ADC (2 – 6.048 MSPS)
- 12 bit (6.048- 8.064 MSPS)
- 10 bit (8.064- 9.216MSPS)
- 8 bit (> 9.216 MSPS )
- Software Selectable 4.7 V @ 100 mA
- High Stability 0.5 ppm TCXO
- In-field trimmable to 0.01 ppm.
Maximum recommended input power
- 0 dBm continuous, 10 dBm for short periods
Typical Noise Figures
- 14 dB @ 3 MHz
- 14 dB @ 10 MHz
- 14 dB @ 20 MHz
- 14 dB @ 40 MHz
- 3.3 dB @ 100 MHz
- 3.3 dB @ 200 MHz
- 6.0 dB @ 330 MHz
- 4.0 dB @ 600 MHz
- 5.0 dB @ 1500 MHz
- 6.0 dB @ 1800 MHz
- Zero IF, All IF bandwidths
- Low IF, IF bandwidths . 1.536 MHz
IF Bandwidths (3 dB)
- 200 kHz
- 300 kHz
- 1.536 MHz
- 5.0 MHz
- 6.0 MHz
- 7.0 MHz
- 8.0 MHz
Front End Filtering:
Automatically configured front end filtering
- 2-12 MHz
- 12-30 MHz
- 30-60 MHz
- 60-120 MHz
- 120-250 MHz
- 250-300 MHz
- 300-380 MHz
- 380-420 MHz
- 420-1000 MHz
- FM Filter: 50 dB 85 – 100 MHz
- MW Filter: >30 dB 660 – 1550 kHz
- DAB Filter: >30 dB 165 – 230 MHz
- Multiple ‘Virtual Receivers’ which allow for simultaneous reception and demodulation of different types of signals within the same receiver bandwidth.
- A selectivity filter with an ultimate rejection greater than 140 dB.
- A unique distortion-free double stage AGC with fully adjustable parame-ters.
- Multiple notch filters with BW adjustable down to 1 Hz, Notch Lock fea-ture.
- A unique synchronous AM mode with selectable/adjustable sidebands, dedicated PLL input filter, and selectable PLL time constants.
- SNR (stereo noise reduction), featuring a proprietary noise reduction algorithm for stereo broadcast.
- AFC for FM signals.
- Calibration for receiver frequency errors.
- Class leading audio quality
- Calibrated S meter and power measurements
- RDS support with “DX Mode” for low signal environment
- Active Noise cancelling
- CAT and Omnirig control
- SSB/AM and Synchronous AM modes
- WBFM and NFM with AFC
- This unit comes with a 12 Month Warranty